Submitted by Peter Bradley
In these days when every cent counts, it’s important to keep material loss to a minimum on your tablet press machine. So, what can you do?
- Ensure that the correct fill cam is being used. Most materials have a compression ratio of 2 to 1. For example, if the tablet being produced has a final thickness of 3.5mm, you should use a fill cam of around 8mm or slightly more. Check the manual for the nearest size available.
- Check that the scraper blade is in good condition and correctly fitted. It should be free to move up and down.
- Check the feeder pan for wear and also check the clearance between the pan and the turret die plate.
- Make sure that all of the dies are level with the die plate.
- If your turret die plate is grooved, think about replacement.
The simple checks above can help reduce material loss.